Monday, May 26, 2008

Defining Management 1

Defining management is not a task that produces closure. It's more contingent on the purposes of your exposition. However, there is one fairly concise one that I appreciate, and I think it kind of sums up the generic views I have about management. The source for this is a paper that Karl Wiig from the Knowledge Research Institute has posted at http://www.krii.com/articles.htm , called The Intelligent Enterprise and Knowledge Management. He actually isn't defining management in this paper, but intelligence more broadly. I guess I must see the role of management as the intelligent guidance of organizations, in part.

Anyway, he says that people in organizations need pertinent expertise in order to:
- Provide competent handling of both well-known and less-known tasks.
- Provide innovative approaches to work and all other endeavors.
- Evaluate the consequences of actions.
- Manage relationships and work environments.
- Conserve resources.
- Support personal and enterprise renewal.

I think that sums up what management is all about, at a shoot-from-the-hip, generic level.

No comments: